Friday, March 30, 2012

No item under Computer Management

Strange issue... I have a 2-node SQL Server 2000 Cluster with SP4
applied. Everything works fine but the Veritas BackupExec program can't
find the SQL Server. When I use Computer Management to connect to the
cluster by the cluster name (and also to the active node of the
cluster), I only found "no items" under Service and Applications -
Microsoft SQL Servers. Guess that is for the same reason that Veritas
can't see SQL Server.
Anyone has any idea what this is? Thanks a bunch!
You have to connect to the virtual SQL Server name, not the cluster name. I
prefer backing up directly to a disk share and then backing up those files
to tape for longer term archive. Veritas does not implement the full
restore functionality of SQL Server.
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
"maoji" <mr.maoji@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1136980331.777473.245220@.o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
> Strange issue... I have a 2-node SQL Server 2000 Cluster with SP4
> applied. Everything works fine but the Veritas BackupExec program can't
> find the SQL Server. When I use Computer Management to connect to the
> cluster by the cluster name (and also to the active node of the
> cluster), I only found "no items" under Service and Applications -
> Microsoft SQL Servers. Guess that is for the same reason that Veritas
> can't see SQL Server.
> Anyone has any idea what this is? Thanks a bunch!
>
|||Thanks Geoff. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I am connecting to the
SQL Server Cluster name instead of the Windows cluster name.
I've been using Veritas to backup our databases and I found it works ok
with me. Anyway, being not able to see the SQL resource in Computer
Management is weird, isn't it? There could be other problems in the
future. I just want to make sure this key database application works
all fine along the way.
Geoff N. Hiten wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> You have to connect to the virtual SQL Server name, not the cluster name. I
> prefer backing up directly to a disk share and then backing up those files
> to tape for longer term archive. Veritas does not implement the full
> restore functionality of SQL Server.
> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Senior Database Administrator
> Microsoft SQL Server MVP
>
>
> "maoji" <mr.maoji@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1136980331.777473.245220@.o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
|||I just tried on two of our SQL Clusters and I connected to the controlling
node just fine. I was able to see Services and Applications just fine. Great
question, since I have not tried doing this before. I wonder if you don't
have a Group Policy Object blocking you or a firewall?
Cheers,
Rod
MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
http://msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
"maoji" <mr.maoji@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1136991184.533925.133310@.z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> Thanks Geoff. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I am connecting to the
> SQL Server Cluster name instead of the Windows cluster name.
> I've been using Veritas to backup our databases and I found it works ok
> with me. Anyway, being not able to see the SQL resource in Computer
> Management is weird, isn't it? There could be other problems in the
> future. I just want to make sure this key database application works
> all fine along the way.
>
> Geoff N. Hiten wrote:
>
|||Thanks everyone. It turns out to be all my fault.
After the successful setup of the SQL Cluster, I tried to rename the
SQL Cluster to another name in order to invisiblly replace another SQL
Server in our network. During that process I changed one of the
registry entries to use the new name, besides changing the SQL cluster
name in Cluster Administration console. And later on I found it was not
so easy as I thought and I changed the SQL server cluster name back in
the CA console, but forgot to change the registry back.
After changing the registry entry back everything is OK.
Thanks everyone! My bad, my bad. Have a good day!
Rodney R. Fournier [MVP] wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> I just tried on two of our SQL Clusters and I connected to the controlling
> node just fine. I was able to see Services and Applications just fine. Great
> question, since I have not tried doing this before. I wonder if you don't
> have a Group Policy Object blocking you or a firewall?
> Cheers,
> Rod
> MVP - Windows Server - Clustering
> http://www.nw-america.com - Clustering Website
> http://msmvps.com/clustering - Blog
> http://www.clusterhelp.com - Cluster Training
> "maoji" <mr.maoji@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1136991184.533925.133310@.z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment