Wednesday, March 28, 2012

No HTML page breaks and slow expanding rows

I have a report with a single table, single grouping level, single data set and no sub-reports. It has 3 rows for a grouping header and 3 rows per dataset row of detail. The detail rows are initially hidden and can be expanded by clicking on the header +. Its a fairly standard master-detail report.

Regardless of data size, I get NO page breaks in HTML. I have the Interactive size set to 8.5x11, KeepTogether is set to False, and PageBreakAtEnd is set to False. I would like it to break based on the visible grouping rows.

As it is now, everytime you expand any section, it takes forever to reload for a larger recordset.

I know that "HTML renderer and Preview (which are soft page break renderers) will ignore page breaks of conditionally hidden items and their children.", but how do I get this report to page break? I've seen a lot of posts on this, but none that seem to have an answer.

Anyone? Can I programmatically add the soft page breaks? The report is useless as it is now.|||

Thanks to others, I found a solution. Use the query to calculate the count of headers using the dense_rank() function:

select ...

dense_rank() over ( order by cl.last_name, cl.first_name, cl.client_id ) AS ClientRank

Then add a top level grouping on the table set to "Page Break at End" with the formula:

=Ceiling(Fields!ClientRank.Value/15)

replace 15 with how many group headers you want per page.

-Dave

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment