Wednesday, March 28, 2012

No Import/Export Option in Mgmt Studio Express

Hi,

I just installed SQL Server 2005 Express. I would like to import tables from

another DB, and I read in the help files that I just need to (1) right-click on

a non-system database in Management Studio Express, and (2) select Import/Export

under the Tasks menu.

I tried this, but my Tasks menu only contains these options: Detach, Shrink,

Backup, Restore, Generate Scripts.

I googled for \"sql server 2005 "no import" tasks\", and it appears that a

couple of people have had this problem -- the only solution I read was to

install the "Workstation Components," but I already have, and still no luck.

Any idea what I need to do? Thanks!

Did you try right clicking on the database in the object explorer window. Try that, and then the All Tasks, Generate SQL Scripts option.|||Okay, I right-clicked on my database in the object explorer, then went to Tasks->Generate Scripts. This database is empty, though (I want to import a SQL Server 7 DB into it), so I end up getting a message that says "There are no objects in database of the types scriptable by this wizard."

Ultimately, I just need to import a SQL Server 7 database into SQL Server 2005 Express, but I can't find an "import" option in 2005. Is there some component I need to install?|||Ah, I think I need SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), and that is apparently not included in SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (see "Unsupported Features" in http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365166.aspx). Mystery solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment